Grains are seeds from plants. To grow healthy, your body needs the fiber and nutrients found in whole grains. You need 3-3 ½ ounces from the grains group per day. And always try to make it whole grains!
Fun Facts About Oats
Oats were one of the earliest cereals cultivated by man. They were in ancient China as long ago as 7000 BC! Oatmeal helps to reduce bad cholesterol in your body and helps keep your heart healthy. Oatmeal acts like a tiny sponge in your body and helps to pull out the bad stuff.
In 1755, while oats were being fed to horses in England, the same oats were eaten by humans in Scotland. (At least the Scottish oats were cleaned first!) Popular oatmeal toppings are fruit, milk, & sugar. Your body needs at least 6 ounces of grains/day to help facilitate healthy digestion.
Featured Recipe: Oatmeal
- 3 large baking apples, peeled,
cored and sliced
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1Any or all: Raisins, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Brown sugar, Honey
- Small bowl
- Medium saucepan
- Cutting board & knife
- Assorted measuring cups
- ½ teaspoon & 1 tablespoon
- measuring spoons
- In a small pot over warm heat, warm milk
- Add oats and reduce heat to simmer for 2-3 minutes
- When oats have absorbed most of the liquid, add any or all of the remaining ingredients